Thursday, August 21, 2014

Pizza Rolls and "The Great Fruit Salad Experiment"

Hello again! Somehow blogging (and coming up with ideas to write about for all... 3... of you) is de-stressing me for our musculoskeletal test in 5 days. So, I interrupt this study session to bring you:

Homemade Pizza Rolls!
These were pinned from Steph at Plain Chicken {Recipe Here} and they are great! Other than cutting each crescent roll in half (to double the total amount) I made no changes to these-- they're simple and delicious, and they taste twelve times better than the frozen ones.
 
Did I mention pizza is one of my most favorite things? Mmm.


Of course, with some junk-like food for dinner, I decided to try and keep dessert somewhat nutritious. I had peaches, I had raspberries, and I had a banana, and thus was born "The Great Fruit Salad Experiment". Has anyone ever improvised a simple syrup before? I now have. The dregs of a Minute Maid pink lemonade bottle got combined with what little grenadine miss Rose had to offer. Toss in about a half cup of sugar and a tablespoon of cornstarch. Whisk. Boil. Remove from heat. Cool. Add to pre-cut fruit chilling in the freezer. The result?A runny mess. I should've done equal parts liquid-sugar, like the instructions {here} say to do. Hmmmm. I think I reduced the sugar amount since the grenadine and the lemonade are already so sugary. Guess that was a bad idea! Oh well, the fruit still tasted great!

I don't think the bananas envied their brother in the pool of syrupy despair...


Do y'all have stories to share of failed kitchen improvisation? I should try my old kitchen-sink-lasagna again next time I need to clear out the pantry. That should make me feel better! It has always ended up tasty.

Until next time, folks! I mentioned making Kevin's favorite, Bruschetta chicken, so I can tell you all about it. Must be fine with him, because he said, "as long as I get to eat!" Whatta man. :)
Adios,
Kristin

"The Lord is my light and my salvation—
    whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life—
    of whom shall I be afraid?"

Psalm 27:1

P.S. Making fruit salad reminds me of this little ditty. It's an earworm for sure; don't say I didn't warn ya.  
The Wiggles


No comments:

Post a Comment